Energy Efficient Lighting Technology
It's a common question, but the answers are compelling for any business owner:
- Lighting is the largest line item in any commercial electricity bill, accounting
for about 32% of total electric energy costs. You can have immediate impact
in cost reduction switching to energy efficient lighting.
- New technology and rising energy costs have made these upgrades and
retrofits pay back more rapidly today than ever before.
- Quality of light is a major driver of employee productivity and aesthetics
for customers — light level, distribution, color and glare reduction all need to be managed.
- Many areas also have energy efficient lighting utility incentives that can help defray
investment in new lighting systems.
- Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency, associated with the Energy Policy Act (EPAct) of 2005's accelerated
deduction tables are significant — savings range from 30-60 cents/square foot.
There are also federal mandates calling for the phase-out of older lighting
technology, so new equipment will need to be installed.
- The environmental and green advantages are popular with customers and
employees, because a typical lighting installation will significantly reduce CO2 emissions.
- There's no need for a large initial cash outlay — third-party financing allows
for payments to be made directly out of accrued savings in utility bills!
Lighting Upgrades and Retrofits: